1. Veggie Delight- 230 calories
2. Turkey Breast- 280 calories
3. Turkey Breast and Ham- 280 calories
4. (splurge item..for those who need a little more flavor)- Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki- 380 calories
WORST Sandwiches (again, all 6")
2. Spicy Italian -480 calories & 24 gm of fat!
3. Tuna- 420 calories (I presume this is because they make the tuna salad with mayo
4. Meatball Pepperoni Melt- (the worst on menu at 620 calories!) & 29 gm of fat!
5. Big Philly Cheesesteak- 500 calories & 17 gm of fat
So, it seems as though the "catch" with subway are the variety of condiments and extras one could add to the sandwich. ALL of the above sandwiches include 9-grain wheat bread (yay!), lettuce, onions, green peppers and cucumbers. NO CHEESE is listed above unless the sandwich has it in it already (like the cheesesteak).
Salads: Pretty good here. All salads have less than 400 calories. But be careful on the amount of dressing you use! Dressing tacks on a little over 50 cal per serving.
So, adding in extras:
EVERY SOUP has 310 calories. Every one.
Cheese (2 pieces) adds approx 20 calories to the sandwich.
Mayo adds 15 calories (this is for a teaspoon and we all know they lather way more than a teaspoon on there). Go for the light mayo..even though it has the same number of calories, it has over half the fat.
Tomato- 34 calories (but I like this one because of the nutritional value)
Pickles- 3 calories PER SLICE!
Overall, I gotta hand it to Subway. They have done a good job of keeping the majority of the menu heart healthy. Remember---Multigrain bread (unless you have an allergy, of course!), and keep the condiments to a minimum!
Congrats, Subway! You passed!